Two laptops, with one displaying an open for business sign.
An image of a computer in a field with the AIT Electronics Recycling logo in the computer.

1. Prepare the Monitor

Preparing your computer monitor for recycling is as simple as cleaning it and then placing it in a designated spot for pickup. If you’re mailing monitors in, you can wrap your monitors according to AIT standards. See below:

  1. Turn off and unplug the computer. Then, remove all wires from the computer monitor.
  2. Clean your Computer Monitor: Using a microfiber cloth or anti-static cleaning wipe, remove dust in a circular motion.
    If there are any stains that seem stuck, you can use a cloth that is lightly dampened with water or a 1:1 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol.


A person cleaning a computer monitor with a microfiber cloth.

2. Assess the Monitor: Can it be Repaired or Resold for Value?

Assessing if your monitor can be repaired or resold can seem daunting, but it’s actually not that difficult!

One way to assess resale value is through e-commerce websites. You can research the make and model number of the monitor on various e-commerce websites and filter your results by ‘sold’ to see a general market value.

* If the monitor does not turn on, is broken, or cannot sell for value for any reason, it will have to be recycled for its remaining materials. Computer monitors contain recyclable materials like glass, plastics and metal as well as more harmful materials like the lead in CRT monitors and mercury in LCDs.


Quick Tip!

If you are unsure about whether your computer monitors can be sold for cash or repaired for re-use, contact us today!

Our full team of in-house tech experts are capable of assessing for any value in your e-waste as well as repairability. If your computer monitors hold value, we will send over an e-waste valuation and provide you with a profit share once sold.

A laptop and a computer monitor with an 'Open For Business' sign displayed on the monitor.

3. Wrap Monitor for Secure Transport

  1. If your monitor has a removable base or stand, remove it at this time and continue with step 3.
  2. If your monitor does not have a removable base, skip to Step 5.
  3. Remove the monitor from its base/stand. If it does not come off, skip to Step 5.
  4. Wrap a towel, plastic wrap or bubble wrap around the flat monitor. You can cover the monitor with card stock prior to bubble wrapping for extra protection.
  5. If your monitor DOES NOT have a removable base or you have multiple monitors: Align the monitors so that the front of the screens are facing each other. You can insert card stock, bubble wrap or a towel in between the monitors for extra protection.
  6. Secure the monitors together with a towel, plastic wrap or bubble wrap. The bases can be placed slightly on top of one another so that they lay flatter when transporting them.
A wrapped computer monitor inside of an open box.

Did You Know?

E-waste recycling has developed rapidly over the years. Natural materials refining processes are effective enough to allow for many different types of e-waste components to be recycled. Check out the excerpt from the 2024 Global E-Waste Monitor below:

“Meanwhile, less than one quarter (22.3%) of the year’s e-waste mass was documented as having been properly collected and recycled in 2022, leaving US $62 billion worth of recoverable natural resources unaccounted for and increasing pollution risks to communities worldwide.”

With less than 22.3% of 2022’s e-waste being documented as properly recycled, it is worth a chance to work together to gather the other 77.7% to create a more sustainable tomorrow. After all, there is approximately $62 billion USD worth of recoverable resources stuck in a landfill!

We believe that solving the e-waste crisis starts with accessibility to e-waste recycling services! AIT strives to scale sustainability for your company no matter how rapidly the electronics industry innovates.


4. Contact An E-Waste Recycler

Ready to recycle your electronics? By taking next steps, you are ensuring that hazardous materials are being broken down and re-used in new electronics instead of sent to a landfill. We applaud you for your interest in recycling and thank you for your effort!

Business people viewing and pointing at a laptop.

Why choose AIT?

  • Our Data Destruction Standards meet and exceed both NIST 800-88 Guidelines for Media Sanitization and DoD 5220.22-M Department of Defense data destruction standards. We can also provide on-site and off-site destruction services!
  • You will always receive full reporting. A Certificate of Destruction, Certificate of Recycling and Full E-Waste Report are always included.
  • We can pick it up, you can drop it off, or you can mail it in. We mean it when we say that accessibility is the key to solving the e-waste crisis!
  • E-Waste Events can be curated by request. We will fully set up and accommodate e-waste disposal events for your corporation.
    This is a great option if you are looking to have an e-waste recycling drive for your employees.